Applying for Free/Reduced Price Meals

For families who qualify, free or reduced price breakfasts and lunches are provided. To qualify, families must apply and meet federal income eligibility guidelines which are revised and published annually.

Free or reduced price meals may be applied for at any time during the school year. If you are not eligible now, but experience a change such as a decrease in household income, an increase in household size, become unemployed or get SNAP (formerly food stamps) or TFA, fill out an application at that time.

Please scroll down for information on SNAP, HUSKY Health, and Frequently Asked Questions.

Applications for Free/Reduced Price Meals
All application forms are customized by school. Please be sure to select forms for your student's school.

  • Valley Regional High School
  • John Winthrop Middle School
  • Chester Elementary 
  • Deep River Elementary
  • Essex Elementary 

  • Information on SNAP: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly the Food Stamp Program) 

    SNAP information sheet

    Information on HUSKY Health Program for Children
    HUSKY information sheet

    Frequently Asked Questions

    1. How do I get free or reduced price school meals for my child?

    If your total household income is the same or below the amount on the Reduced Price Income Chart, your child may get either free meals or reduced price meals. You must complete the free and reduced price school meal application (either online as part of the Student Information Update system or in hard copy), OR, if you receive SNAP benefits or Temporary Family Assistance (TFA), the Department of Social Services will notify the school district electronically with this information. If your child does receive one of theses State assistance programs and is not currently receiving free meals, please contact our food service department directly.

    2. If I was receiving Free and Reduced meals last year will I automatically continue with the same status the following school year?

    No, a new application is required for each school year. If you were receiving free or reduced meals last year that status will carry over for 30 days of the new school year. If after 30 days a new application was not submitted the student(s) will revert back to paid status until the application is received and processed.

    3. Do I need to fill out an application for each child in my household?

    No. You may complete one application for all the children in your household. Be sure to list all current students in the student information section of the form. Students listed in this section do not to be noted again in the household portion of the form.

    4. What income needs to be reported?

    The income of all person(s) living in the home of the students needs to be listed. This would include any monies coming into the home in the form of wages, unemployment, pension, child support, etc.

    5. What food items are covered by the free and reduced meal program?

    Reimbursable meals are the only food items covered by the free and reduced meal program. A reimbursable meal is composed of at least 3 of the following 5 food groups: Milk, Protein, Starch, Vegetable and Fruit. The child needs to include three of these items on each meal tray in order for his/her meal to be considered a reimbursable meal therefore making it acceptable for the free/reduced program.

    The free and reduced program does not cover a la carte items such as snacks, juice, etc.
    Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.